This is for Debbie Kim~ she knows why
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The One that got Away~Glassy Eyed,Slacked Jawed~ part 14

My garden hat fooled no one. The instant J saw me leaning against the arena pipes he piped up himself. "Who dumped you?" I had to have looked a mess. Told him it was the big gray and he shook his head knowingly. Maggie would never unseat me.

I suppose I simply stood looking slack jawed and glassy eyed for after a moment J asked if there was anything he could do for me. I thought. I had no idea why I had walked all the way up there.
I never hung around when the guys were roping, although I had been invited on many occasions.
They were all young and enjoyed cuttin' loose, which usually involved cold beer. Not that I objected or judged one way or the other about alcohol. I do think it stupid to get falling down drunk and work horses. Too much could go wrong. Course J was sitting a horse and I was walking so I may have blown holes through that theory.
"Terri, do you need something?" It was hard to think with all the cowboys hooting and hollering coupled with the calves bawling and dust flying in my face."J, I came up here for a reason but I can't think why." The words no sooner left my lips and I remembered. "Oh, Ghost is still running around with my good saddle on. I can't catch him. I need you to come help me and I don't want any razzing about it tonight. You can give me a hard time tomorrow; I can't hear it now." J became respectful, which should have indicated to me things certainly were not right. "Yes ma'am. Can I finish with these calves?" "Why sure, J. Come when ya can. And thanks. I'm sorry I have to ask."
"No problem. You sure you're alright?" I took a second to answer. "Yeah, I knocked the heck outta my head and I just feel addled. I'll be fine. I'll see ya in a bit."
Suddenly the walk home seemed endless. I was tired. Fighting that horse had worn me out more than I realized. Well, I had to get home and feets was all I gots ( as a dear friend would say) so I started hoofin' it.
J just about beat me. In no time he and a buddy rode down and had Ghost penned for me. "You need me to get your saddle?" "No, surely I can do that. Thanks a bunch, J." "Sure thing. Now, tomorrow I can give ya hell, right?" he asked smiling. "Yeah, I'll be ready for it."
I turned to walk in the pen with Ghost. I was afraid. Hard to admit, however fear filled me. I looked at this horse and suddenly felt nothing but compassion, the fear evaporating. "Buddy, I gotta get my saddle. Tomorrow your big gray butt's going back to 29 Black Street. I'm sorry but you can't stay here."
The sun had long been down and the back pen poorly lit. Sure would feel better if I could see his ears and eyes. I tried pulling leather but my arms were weak, especially my left. Finally pulled everything loose. As I attempted to lift the saddle from his back, my left arm gave out.
The saddle slid down Ghosts' side, buckles clinking til it hit the dirt. I braced myself for a crow hop at the very least. If the horse so much as blinked I never saw it. The breath I had been holding calmly released from my body. I attempted to lift my saddle and pain screamed up my arm. Instead I drug it outta the pen with my right arm. Back to retrieve my bridle. This too went without incident. Completely used up, I decided to ask Luke to put my tack away.

Now to sneak into the house. Having no clue as to the time, aware it had been dark for a long time, I thought perhaps Lonnie had already retired.
I walked through the backdoor and heard the TV blaring. Everything seemed sooooo loud! Shoot! He was still awake. Maybe I could bypass him and make a straight run for the bathroom. If it were something he was truly involved in he might never see me. One could hope.
The sound of the backdoor severed Lonnie's TV fog. "Where ya been? I was beginning to think you were gonna spend the night out there." James in a row boat!!! Now why is it if I were dancing naked in front of the TV he wouldn't notice? Turned on the kitchen facet; maybe I could get my face cleaned up. "Could you bring me some ice water, please?" Geez, I wish we had a mirror in the kitchen. Note to self: hang mirror in kitchen. "Sure, just wanta wash up a bit. I washed my face and hands, checked my reflection in the kitchen window, poured requested ice water and prepared to make my post fall debut.
" Here you go, hon." I handed him the glass of water. Lonnie, wearing a look of shock on his face, "What have you done to your arm?!!!" I was busted. I looked down. My left elbow was the size of a orange and terribly misshapen. Already it was turning a most lovely color of noir. Hells bells! No wonder I couldn't lift my saddle. Probably should have had ice on that hours ago. Was it even possible to break an elbow? They didn't teach that in massage school.

Soon Luke was front and center, regaling his father of the evenings' activities. And here it came.....Lonnie, much like warming up one of his bands, A one, and a two and a three, and a four....................
"I told you I didn't like that gray horse. I don't know when you are gonna learn to listen. I knew this was gonna happen! That guy is nothing but a common horse hustler, why........................

You get the idea. This is what I was trying to avoid. Not that Lonnie wasn't correct, probably on all counts. Still, did me little good at this point. Really, this was all for his benefit when ya get right down to it. The ranting. He would wind down soon. Only I was feeling worse by the minute. Wish he could join J and put it on hold til tomorrow.
....................... and Lord only knows what an ER visit is gonna cost. I just hope you are happy."

ER visit? Happy? Oh yes Lonnie I am thrilled! I may burst out in song any second now! perhaps dance an Irish jig! All things I wanted to say but knew better. It never paid for both of us to lose our tempers at the same time.
We had an unspoken arrangement.

.............................and get some shoes and head for the truck."

What? Where is he going? Why was he going to the truck? Still Lonnie, "Don't you think you need to go to the ER? That arm is broken. You can't wait til morning to have that seen about."
Finally I spoke. "You are probably right. But I am not going with you if you are gonna fuss the whole time. I've listened to about all I can stand. If you can't hush, Luke can take me. I'm not gonna be penned up in some waiting room with you mad as a hatter. I just can't hear it."

My Mama used to say that and I never understood it. She promised if I lived long enough I would. She was right. I suppose I had lived just long enough. It had nothing to do with not wanting to hear it, lack of interest in hearing it or even the refusal of or willingness to hearing it. An honest inability to listen to another word. That was it. I had arrived at that point.

Lonnie swelled up, then shut up. I sent Luke out to get my saddle and pad. Grabbed a clean tee
shirt then realized I couldn't raise my arm to put it on. Guess I'd just go dirty.

Jumping up bald headed James!!!!!! What a long night awaited us!


7 comments:

Rising Rainbow April 17, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

Hopefully your arm is the only thing needs tending. Me, I'm most worried about your head.

Unfortunately I know the signs of a concussion when I hear them........only me, I didn't see a doc. Nope, I thought I knew best. I will always be grateful I survived despite my best efforts to kill myself off.

Terri April 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

we could be sisters!

Rising Rainbow April 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

Ya, I know! Scary, isn't it!

Mama April 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Ready to turn the page. . . .

debianne April 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Agreeing with Janera...hurry up!!!

Midlife Mom April 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Oh my goodness! What a story! Can't wait to read the rest of it! Very scary though, you are lucky you weren't hurt worse then you were. Sounds like a concussion to me!

Sharon Brumfield April 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

You know....I have decided that this is like finding a new author...you race through the book and realize that the sequels were already written and on the shelves!
I kind of like reading once a week....I don't have to wait for the next post...they have already been written. :)
I have never broken a bone....can't imagine.
Isn't it funny that the man who suggested you buy the horse...now he is dumping it in your lap. :) How like a man. LOL
Moving on to the next!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Wife, mom, sister, friend, seeker, mystic

Labels

MAGGIE (1)

Designed Especially for Terri by

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP