This is for Debbie Kim~ she knows why
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The One that got Away~ Ghost~ part 12

Maggie had, in fact, proven to be the perfect horse for me. We had shared five wonderful years together when I decided it was time for the second horse. I understood Mags would always be my primary horse, however I invented multiple reasons why a second horse was needed.


The search was on. And yes, I started on the computer this time. Dreamhorse.com had become my favorite site! The choices were endless; I spent hours daydreaming in front of the screen. I could see this turning into a never ending search. I wanted one of every color and discipline.
Some women feel this way about shoes; for me it was horses.
After three months of seeking out ads and making dozens of phone calls, we decided to begin making some serious inquiries.
Despite many promising, available horses, I was drawn to a large flea bitten gray. Ghost was a reiner, my first love, and a foundation Quarter. He stood 15.2 hands, like Maggie, but could easily be mistaken for a Mack truck. Deep, wide chest. Hindquarters broad and muscular. Short backed with thick neck. A powerhouse of an animal! He had been used for ranch work, namely working cattle. His present owner had been working on finishing him out. Had him close, too.
Never really understood why they were called reiners. If completely tuned, reins aren't used. All cues come from the riders body, butt, legs and shoulders. Oh a left rein lightly touching the neck would cue the horse to cut or turn right, yes. Tuned like a radio and the same can be accomplished with the slightest drop of the left shoulder. And spin!!!! How I love a spinning reiner! Sliding stops too! Busting a gut across an arena, then BAM! leaning back deep in the saddle to feel those haunches sit down, down like a dog, leaving a tornado of dust and sand in the air!! Sometimes enough to feel the grit sifting down the back your shirt. Now that is a good time!!! Well, for me anyway.
The owner didn't have the proper riding facilities. A small round pen and that was about it.
I could tell Ghost responded well to cues, again with so little space that's all I could tell. The man suggested I take Ghost home on a 2 week trial basis. This is fairly common down here. I guess we both felt good about the other. I accepted and to the trailer we went.
After loading easily, the man took me aside. " He's a little wonky on the ground." Wasn't quite sure what he meant, but wonky did not sound good to me. "What?" "You know, weird. He seems to be afraid of hands, empty hands." This is not an inherent fear in horses. Someone taught him to be afraid of empty hands. " Who taught him that?" I leveled my gaze on him. "Not me, I promise. No. I haven't had him that long. My Dad had been using him out at the ranch, then found another gelding for himself. Dad brought him to me to finish out and then sell." Glad I had my boots on.
We exchanged phone numbers and Coggins test then pulled out of the drive.
The first seed of suspicion had been planted.

I allowed Ghost to settle in for the first three days. Put him up in the large pen to protect him from Maggie. She was being less than the congenial hostess. She squealed at him. She twirled at him. She tried kicking him through the fence and when that didn't work she tried biting him!
By the time I did turn him out everyone understood Maggie had taken her spot as the alpha horse. As long as Ghost was willing to play by her rules there were no problems. Thankfully, he had chosen the path of least resistance. Because of this choice, they became fast friends.

Ghost had been given several days to settle in to his new routine and become accustomed to his new pasture mate. It was time to ride.
I gathered up grooming tools and apron, grabbed halter and lead, and on my way to the pasture I went. I prayed he would be easily caught. I walked directly and with intention straight up to him. Ghost accepted the halter easily, with an uneventful trip back to the barn.
Grooming wasn't near as relaxed. He blew at me the entire time, through what should have been a pleasant experience. I guess he had been trained to keep a constant eye on the human; this lead to him turning and facing me despite where I was in relation to his body. Finally snubbed him up to a barn pole. Doing so stabilized his head but his hindquarters remained free to swing like a gate in the wind. Basically all I accomplished was knocking the loose dirt off of him. Ghost was going to need lessons in standing still.
He saddled beautifully. As soon as he spied the saddle, he relaxed. Oh..... something he knew.
Time to go to work.

We made it to the arena without incident; unless of course Maggie's squealing, bucking fit went uncounted. Pasture Princess did not want to be left alone. Ghost ignored the mare's fit, showing no signs of wanting to rejoin her. This was good.
We worked in the arena for about an hour or so. Someone had done a nice job with this horse.
He was all business; ready to go and stay at work. He did not back well. That was the only fault I could find. Well that and his "wonky ways " on the ground.

Certainly he could be brought around. Already I knew if he stayed I would be the one to ride Ghost; guests would ride Ms. Thing still screaming in the pasture. She was the people horse; the pony in your pocket girl. Ghost was not gonna be a charmer. Clearly he had been mistreated at some point by someone. I didn't have to make up my mind this day. I decided to get a few more rides in and then make the decision.








3 comments:

Rising Rainbow April 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

Oh, I so want a reiner. Even bred to get one. He's only a yearling and by the time he's ready to do his thing, I'll probably be too old to learn a new discipline........especially one like reining.

Odd about Ghost being worried about grooming.

debianne April 12, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

Love the new blog look! When I get my "forever" house and land...I'm calling you to help me buy a horse!

Love reading your words...I'm right there with you!

Sharon Brumfield April 19, 2010 at 4:00 AM  

I am catching you here and there!
Loving the story...and as I read I couldn't help but think that we are all a little bit wonky like your reiner. ;)
I'll be back to read some more later!
Loving the story girl....and thanks for the sweet comments you have left on my blog.
Oh....and love the new header!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Wife, mom, sister, friend, seeker, mystic

Labels

MAGGIE (1)

Designed Especially for Terri by

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP