This is for Debbie Kim~ she knows why
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The One that got Away~Faith healer @ beauty Parlor (5)

I had lots of time to think. Truth be told probably too much.

I had been a massage therapist. For the last ten years had been self employed, owning my own business.
The business had grown in ways I never imagined. I started working out of a spare room in our house. I enjoyed working at home and booking appointments around family activities. Our son was young, only seven, and this afforded me the freedom to arrange my days according to his schedule.
This did not last long. Apparently word spread around town that I was very good. (Still don't know this to be true as I have never given myself a massage.) Soon the phone was ringing off the hook and it was becoming more and more difficult to turn folks away. Because of my own poor boundaries, I was working later and later into the day. After awhile my husband suggested I find another location to work out of. He told me he just could not get used to the idea of naked people streaming in and out of the house. I agreed, but where to go?
The question was no sooner asked and the answer appeared. I received a call from a local salon asking if I would be interested in leasing a space there. She intended to enlarge her place and wanted to offer massage services. I knew I didn't want to be in a salon, however I felt this situation might work for me. The salon had an excellent reputation and lots of traffic. I excepted her offer.
I hated the noise, the smells, the overall business of the place. Luckily she had allowed quite a bit of feedback from me during the remodel. My space was at the very back of the building with
a connecting restroom to the massage room. Once in the back, the noise and aromas for the most part were left behind. My room became an oasis for me and my clients. A safe place.
In no time I was booked two weeks in advance with a waiting list for cancellations. There were not enough hours in the day to get everyone in. Around this same time, local chiropractors and some medical doctors began referring patients to me. I began working longer hours in an effort to see everyone.
I stayed at the salon for almost two years. I finally decided the work load was simply too heavy and I had some tough choices to make. I could either cut way back on my clientele list,(how would I ever decide who to say no to?) or expand. I chose to expand.
Again, I no sooner made that decision and a perfect little brick cottage opened up for lease. It was built in the 1920's and possessed a quaint charm which was irresistible. It had previously been a doctors office which made it perfect. I jumped on it and quite frankly could not believe my good fortune. I was beginning to suspect God was being one busy fellow. Now all I had to do was find a therapist. Not just any therapist. I was looking for someone as dedicated to the profession and felt the same passion for the work as I did myself. Again,prayers were answered and I had the perfect person.
The years passed and we both were working long exhausting hours. We had clients driving ridiculous miles just to get in with us. We both stayed booked three to four weeks in advance with a long call list for cancellations.
This does not include the donated hours at hospitals and nursing homes. Plus I was determined to educate our community to the medical benefits of bodywork. This required public speaking events on my part. Any organization which invited me to speak I was there.
The money was great. I won't argue that. But money had never been my real motivation. It was the connection I felt with the people who graced my table every day. I came to love these folks as one would love extended family. They had added a richness to my life that words cannot begin to describe.
One of my favorite clients was Miss S. She had been coming to me for years, every other Thursday at four o'clock sharp. She came in early one Thursday and I ushered her back to my room. She was in her late seventies and an absolute wonder.
This particular Thursday we got our usual chit chat out of the way and she began to relax and grow quiet. Halfway through the session she piped up again.
"I have to tell you something and there's not a living soul that knows it, not even my children."
This sounded serious. I braced myself, unable to imagine what horrible secret this sweet soul could be harboring. Miss S had been widowed three times. What if she had killed all of her husbands? Oh Lord Miss S! I didn't want to know! She eased up on her elbows and whispered
"I'm a democrat." I couldn't help but laugh out loud! "Geez, Miss S, I thought you were gonna tell me you were a murderer." Relief flooded me. She laughed. "Well in this town murder would be more easily forgiven." She was right. We were living in a rich red Republican community. I assured her her secret was safe with me." I guessed that. You show signs of being the same." Almost as if it were a disease. We both had gotten a big belly laugh from her confession. Oh how I loved this woman!
Two years later Miss S passed, right before her eightieth birthday. I had lost a dear,dear friend.
A friend who had become an inspiration to me.
Thursdays at four o'clock would never be the same. Yes, I had lost a true shinning soul in my life. Even if she had been a democrat.

Not long after Miss S's death, my life would take a turn, although I didn't know it at the time.
I continued to work long hours, booking back to back appointments, some days not taking the time to eat. I had dropped from a size 6 to a size 4 with no effort on my part. I stayed feeling run down and tired. I had allowed the business to consume me. I had worked so hard to develop my professional reputation, I certainly did not want to begin providing substandard work.
I had so many expectations and alias given me to live up to. One client called me the massage goddess which caught on quickly. Another name I was tagged with was the "butt queen"for my
reputation for successfully dealing with sciatica. My most treasured, given me by an elderly woman was " the faith healer at the beauty parlor." She told everyone I could suck the pain out. God was using me, she had felt his power.
I just knew I was worn thin. I had to make some changes and soon. As always, since this journey began, the minute I put it out there a solution was found.
My husband had been offered the position of Director of Fine Arts, complete with a staff, a secretary and a large pay raise. There was no way he could turn it down. It was too far to commute. It would require us to move.
I would have to close down the business. I could rest awhile.
I left my old community with deep regret but also relief. I would take some time off. Rest. Then
launch a new business in our new town. That was my plan. I had no idea my life was about to be turned wrong side out.
©




3 comments:

Sharon Brumfield March 18, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

Terri,
I'll have to come back and read this tonight...but I wanted to address the email problem.
I do have a yahoo email...not sure the problem there. But if you would like you can send it to my gmail. slgb65@gmail.com
Let me know if you have a problem with this.
Thanks for letting me know you had a problem.

Sharon Brumfield March 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

So...I just have to ask....are you writing a book? I could totally see this last bit as part of a series...really...almost all of it would be great in a book. Don't know if you have read the Mitford Series...for some reason I found myself thinking of this series while reading.
At one point in the story I found that I was starting to feel like we were walking in the same shoes at one point...although my field was culinary arts. I finally chose my family..and left that world behind.
Looking forward to hearing more about this...I do hope you will finish the story.
Or do I have to buy the book? ;)

Mama March 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

I feel a book in the works, too. For now, though, just keep telling the story. It's riveting and charming and wonderful.

And, as for the butt queen? I can attest. Also leg queen!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Wife, mom, sister, friend, seeker, mystic

Labels

MAGGIE (1)

Designed Especially for Terri by

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP